DR. SUHAIL SIMAAN MD
Memorial Sloan Kattering Cancer Center
- Surgical Oncology Surgeon
- Colorectal Surgeon
- Minimal Invasive Surgeon
Qualification & Positions
- Born in Syria on April 8,’37. Have two daughters, both married with children.
- B.S degree, American University of Beirut 1959
- MD degree, American University of Beirut 1963
- General surgery residency program, Cleveland Metropolitan Gen. Hosp. (affiliated with Western Reserve University), Cleveland, Ohio, 1963-1967
- Fellow in Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 1964
- Cancer Surgery residency, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, NYC, 1967-1970
- “Superior Rating”, issued to me by the MSKCC in 1968.
- Fellow in Surgery, Cornell University, 1967-1970
- Diplomate, American Board of Surgery, 1969
- Recognition Award, From the American Medical Association,1973
- Professor of Surgery, “Damascus University” 1983-present
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, 1983-present
- International governor of “Physicians For Peace“, 1984-present
- Chairman , Department of Surgery, Damascus University, 1983-2002
- Chairman , Examination committees, “Arab Board of Surgery”,1994-1998
- Founder & President , “Syrian Association of Surgeons“,1994-1999
- Vice-President of the “Pan-Arab Association of Surgeons“,1997-2001
- Vice-President ,the “Syrian Cancer Society”,1986-1999
- Chairman, The Scientific committee of the “Syrian Cancer Society”
- Author , Cancer book for medical students at Damascus University, 1994
- Author, ” Surgical Management of Cancer”, in” Arab Medical Encyclopedia”
- Author of many articles in cancer
- Author, Four chapters in ” Textbook of Tropical Surgery” edited by Kamel & Lumley, Westminster Publishing LTD, London, 2004
- Editor in Chief,” Current Advances in Medical Sciences” A Quarterly Journal published by Damascus University Medical School ,1997-2002
- External Examiner, For Graduating MD’s in several regional Medical Schools : Lebanon,Jordan,Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
- Honorary Member,The “Lebanese Surgical Society“
- Honarary Member, “The Jordanian Reconstructive Surgical Society“
- Visiting Professor and Lecturer at King Khaled Univ. Hosp., KSA; 1991
- Visiting Professor of Surgery at MD Anderson Cancer Center,Houston 1999
- Personal Experience through operating on 5000 breast cancer cases.
- Presiding many surgical congresses at home & abroad
- Cancer Research consultant to “Auron” Cancer drug company in Freiberg Germany,on developing a novel drug for cancer.
- Consultant, Drug Discovery Research, Walenstadt, Switzerland
- “Life Achievement Award” granted to me by the ” Syrian-American Medical Society” 2010
- President, “Syrian Society of Breast Diseases“, 2009-present.
- Adjunct A. Professor of Surgery, Lebanese American University ( LAU )